Canon just announced the XC15, a 4K UHD digital video camcorder for professional use. A successor to the Canon XC10, the new compact Canon XC15 enables shooting with an external microphone through an XLR input – an ideal configuration for spot newsgathering and documentary productions.
The XC15 features an XLR input that is the standard for news reporting cameras, along with enhanced image quality and looks that make it a great sub-camera for the Cinema EOS C300 Mark II, making it an even better camera for production use. The XC15 ships with the MA-400 microphone adapter that, when attached, enables shooting with XLR-input microphones used in a wide range of media and content-creation applications. As a result, the XC15 supports the production of content that combines both high image quality and high sound quality with reduced noise. The MA-400 is also compatible with the EOS C300 Mark II.
New looks have been added for both movies and still photos, allowing for more colorful look settings and adjustments. The movie looks from the EOS C300 Mark II (Neutral/Production Camera/Color Matrix) have been added, so images can be unified with a common look in small-space shooting, special equipment shooting, or other instances where the XC15 is used as a sub-camera, making grading even easier.
The XC15 facilitates shooting in confined spaces and environments that demand mobility. The camera features a compact, lightweight body design, measuring approximately 5.0 x 4.1 x 4.8 inches (W x H x D) and weighs approximately 2.1 pounds while also sporting a 10x optical zoom lens.
Thanks to its high-sensitivity one-inch CMOS sensor and DIGIC DV 5 image processing platform with high calculation-processing power, the new XC15 is capable of capturing high image-quality and low-noise 4K UHD video.
Support for the lossless 24.00P mode has been included with the XC15 for both 4K and Full HD video. This enables operation with film production environments. For recording media it supports the same Cfast card as the EOS C300 Mark II, allowing 4K UHD 3840x2160 4:2:2 8-bit recording at up to 305Mbps with the XF-AVC Intra codec. FHD 1920x1080 4:2:2 8-bit video is recorded to SD cards with XF-AVC Log GOP.
- 4K Wide-Angle 10x zoom lens with Image Stabilizer
- 12 Megapixel one-inch 4K-compatible CMOS image sensor
- Compact and ergonomic design
- DIGIC DV 5 image processor
- Advanced AF performance
- High-quality low-light HD images
- XLR input supports high-quality audio
- Additional look settings available for movies and stills
- Image settings compatible with Cinema EOS Cameras
- Waveform Monitor (WFM) display screen
- New touch panel operation lock
- XF-AVC Codec for 4K 30p and Full HD 60p
- Multiple recording modes and frame rates
- Slow and fast motion recording
- Superb still capture capability
- Clip renaming support
- Canon Log and Wide Dynamic Range Gamma
- Wireless operation
- Workflow versatility
- CFast 4K recording technology
- Cold Shoe mount for microphone adapter support
- Highlight Priority
- Supports 24.00P mode for both 4K and Full HD
- Compatibility with multiple canon accessories
The Canon XC15 4K UHD professional video camcorder will be available at the end of September 2016.