As a member of the Canon Inc. family of companies, Canon U.S.A., Inc. ("Canon USA") is committed to protecting your privacy. This Privacy Statement describes the information we collect from you, either online or offline, and how that information will be used. Please read this Privacy Statement carefully. Should you have any questions, please refer to the end of the Statement for information on how to contact us.
Information collected automatically. When you visit our web site, we collect certain information automatically. This information includes the IP address used to connect your computer to the Internet, information about your browser type and language, the date and time you are accessing our web site, and the referring web site address. It may also include technical data about the Canon products you are using.
- Cookies. When you visit our web site, we may assign your computer one or more "cookies." A cookie is a small text file that contains information that can later be read by us to facilitate your access to our web site and personalize your online experience. For example, if you are a registered user of our web site, we will record your user ID in a cookie file on your computer. Also, through the use of a cookie, we may automatically collect information about your online activity on our web site, such as the web pages you visit, the links you click, and the searches you conduct. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies by visiting the Help portion of your browser's toolbar. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in or use some of the interactive features offered on our web site.
- Other Technologies. We may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons (also called clear GIFs or pixel tags) and other similar technologies, to track your use of our web site. We also may include web beacons in e-mail messages, newsletters and advertisements to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the services we offer and measure the overall effectiveness of our online content and the products and services we offer through the web site.
- Use by Third-Parties. We may allow third-parties, including our authorized service providers, advertising agencies and marketing partners to use tracking technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect non-personal information about your visits to this and other web sites. This information generally enables them to track and gauge the effectiveness of our web site and of various marketing campaigns and to serve ads about goods and services that may be of interest to you when you visit other web sites across the Internet.
In General. We may use the information we collect about you to respond to your requests for information; to deliver the products and services you have requested; to manage your account and provide you with customer support; to provide you with information about other Canon products and promotions that may be of interest to you; to obtain feedback on our products and services; to perform research and analysis about usage and potential interest in our products, services, or content; to develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on our web site; to enforce our Terms and Conditions and to perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
Financial Information. We may use financial information or payment method to process payment for any purchases or sales made on our web site, to protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business.
Information From/About Friends or Family. If you provide us with information about others, or if others give us your information, we may store that data, but it will only be used for the specific reason it was provided. Examples include providing a friend's shipping address, e-mailing a newsletter or a product description to a friend, and e-mailing friends a link to your Wish List.
Our customers are a critical component of our business and we are not in the business of selling or renting your personal information to third-parties. We are part of the Canon Inc. family of companies and may share your information with our parent company, subsidiaries, and affiliates. We also may share your information with other companies and individuals acting on our behalf to fulfill and/or ship an order, an award or rebate; to conduct surveys, contests or sweepstakes; to perform business and sales analysis; to communicate with you; collect or process payments; provide data processing or data storage processes on our behalf; or to provide a product or service you have requested. We also may periodically share your personal information with selected non-Canon companies with whom we have partnered to provide you with products and services, or whose products and services we believe you may find of interest. In addition, if you inquire about a product that Canon USA does not sell directly, we may forward your information to a Canon USA dealer, distributor or other reseller, and they may reach out to you about your product needs.
We also may share aggregated information we collect with third-parties, including service providers and marketing partners, for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. For example, we may tell our marketing partners the number of visitors to our web site and the most popular features or services accessed. This information does not contain any personal information and may be used to develop web site content and services that we hope you will find of interest.
In any event, the third-parties with whom we conduct business are obligated to use your information only to perform the service for which they are hired.
Finally, we also may share your personal information:
- In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, our employees, or others; to comply with applicable law or cooperate with law enforcement; or to enforce our web site Terms and Conditions or other agreements or policies.
- In connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Protecting the privacy of the very young is especially important. For that reason, we never collect or maintain information from those we actually know are under 13, nor does Canon USA target its web site to children under 13. Canon USA encourages parents and guardians to spend time online with their children and to participate with them in the various interactive activities and downloadable projects that may be available on our web site from time to time.
You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but that may result in you being unable to use certain features of our web site because such information may be required in order for you to register; purchase products or services; participate in a contest, promotion, survey, or sweepstakes; ask a question; or initiate other transactions on our web site.
Some of our web sites may provide you with a choice as to whether you want to receive e-mail messages about special offers. You will be given the opportunity in any commercial e-mail that we send to you to opt out of receiving such e-mail messages in the future. Please note that we may send you other types of transactional and relationship e-mail communications, such as service announcements and administrative notices without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
Links. There are a number of places on our web site where you may click on a link to access other web sites that do not operate under this Privacy Statement. For example, if you click on an advertisement or a third-party logo on our web site, you may be taken to a web site that we do not control. These third-party web sites may independently solicit and collect information, including personal information, from you. We recommend that you consult the privacy statements of all third-party web sites you visit by clicking on the "privacy" link typically located at the bottom of the web page you are visiting.
Job applicants. If you submit an application or resume online when applying for a position with our company, we may use third-party service providers to assist with the process of collection, maintenance and analysis of candidate submissions. These third-parties are not affiliated with Canon USA and they may maintain separate privacy policies that govern the transfer of your information. Should you have any questions about the privacy practices of these companies, we recommend that you contact them directly. Canon USA may retain your application for a period of time, but only for the purpose of considering your application for current or future available positions. Your applicant information may be shared with Canon Inc. and/or other Canon companies for the purpose of evaluating your qualifications for the particular position or other available positions.
Interest-Based Marketing. We contract with third-party advertising agencies, marketing partners and other service providers to serve advertisements when you visit our web site or other web sites across the Internet. The advertisements placed on these third-party web sites may use tracking technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect anonymous information about your visits to this and other web sites. We may also share anonymous information with these companies in aggregate form and/or partner with these companies to provide interest-based advertising both on and off web sites operated by Canon USA. In either case, the purpose of the sharing is to provide advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest to you, analyzing and improving the effectiveness of ads and e-mails, and improving and enhancing our web site and its content.
When you submit information to Canon USA through our web sites, you should be aware that your information is transmitted across multiple computer systems on the Internet. Although we take reasonable security measures to protect your information, data security technologies constantly are evolving. Because no method of transmitting or storing electronic data on the Internet is ever completely secure, we cannot guarantee that such information will never be accessed, used, or released in a manner that is inconsistent with this Statement.
This Privacy Statement is intended to cover collection of information on our web site from residents of the United States. If you are visiting our web site from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our central database is operated. The data protection and other laws of the United States and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country. Please be assured that we seek to take reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy is protected. By using our services, you understand that your information may be transferred to our various facilities within and outside the United States and those third-parties who process information on our behalf, as described in this Privacy Statement.
This Statement was last updated effective May 16, 2011. Canon USA reserves the right to change this Privacy Statement at any time. If we make any material changes to this Statement, we will notify you by posting the changes on our web site. Changes will be effective immediately upon posting on the web site. Your continued use of our web site following the postings of changes to these terms means you accept these changes.
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 gives California residents the right to request, from a business with whom the California resident has an established business relationship, certain information with respect to the types of personal information the business shares with third-parties for direct marketing purposes by such third-party, and the identities of the third-parties with whom the business has shared such information during the immediately preceding year. To request a copy of the information disclosure provided by Canon U.S.A., Inc. pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, please contact us at the address listed below.
Should you have questions or concerns about this Statement, please click HERE or mail your inquiry to Canon U.S.A., Inc. - Customer Privacy, ITCG Internet Marketing Division, One Canon Plaza, Lake Success, New York 11042.