Photographing the California State Railroad Museum
125 "I" Street
Sacramento, California 95814
Experienced photographers know the difficulties of shooting in museum and exhibit settings: the crowds, the harsh lighting and confined conditions. This will not be the case at this Canon Live Learning workshop!
Attendees will have the entire museum at their disposal outside of regular business hours to photograph without the general public. We also have special permission to use tripods and Speedlites (not allowed during normal hours).
On April 20th, Canon Live Learning Instructor's, Jim Rose and Erik Allin will teach a seminar on tips and techniques for shooting in museums.
• Planning your shoot to optimize your time
• Shooting for sharpness to minimize diffraction
• Using HDR to manage contrast and shoot for impact
• Simple and inexpensive accessories to make your shooting more enjoyable and fun
• Managing perspective in a controlled environment
• Which lenses to use to help you frame the best composition
• How to expose in contrasty light to minimize flare
• Tilt/shift lenses for panoramas, infinite DOF and minimizing distortion
Then, on the 21st, before public hours, the California State Railroad Museum opens its doors for a unique and exclusive event for photographers - “Trains and Tripods”. You will be able to create photographs you wished you could get during normal museum hours.
There will also be clinics throughout the morning. Topics include:
• Tilt-shift lenses for panoramas
• Tilt-shift lenses for infinite depth-of-field
• Using radio-controlled Speedlites to light a locomotive
• Setting custom white balance
What to Bring:
• Your camera and lenses
• Memory cards and fully charged batteries
There will be numerous Canon cameras, lenses and Speedlites available for loan during this unique workshop experience.
The California State Railroad Museum is located in Old Sacramento Historic District of Sacramento. Old Sacramento is home to numerous museums, restaurants and shops. If you are going to make a weekend out of it there are numerous hotels within walking distance. If you are traveling from the Bay Area you can skip the traffic and parking issues by taking the train directly to Old Sacramento.
This 2-day event spans the following dates and times:
April 20th - 5:30pm-8:00pm
April 21st - 7:00am-9:30am