San Francisco’s Union Square Holiday Lights Photo Walk
201 California St.
San Francisco, California 94111
There are only a couple cities in the US that really go all-out with holiday season decorations and San Francisco is one of them. Union Square holiday lighting in San Francisco is only rivaled by Rockefeller Center in New York City. Join us in capturing a perfect twilight holiday scene, (complete with ice skaters) at the exact time for that perfect balance of city lights and the dusk sky.
Join our resident pro photographer and Canon Live Learning instructor, Dave Henry, in a four-hour classroom and photo walk shooting session.
We’ll begin at the Canon Live Learning classroom then make our way to Union Square in time for our twilight holiday lighting experience.
During the workshop we’ll be taking some great photographs and working on the fundamentals of composition, depth-of-field, exposure, high ISO action shooting of ice skaters, and discuss various menu settings that will have an effect on our photographs.
This is also your chance to see through a professional photographer’s eye and learn how to find interesting subjects and plan a compelling photograph.
The class will continue back in the Live Learning classroom with a discussion on the techniques discussed and evaluate our results.
Don’t miss this unique walking photography workshop that only happens during the holiday season and learn what it takes to make that next big jump in developing your skills as a photographer.
If you’re unsure of how to expose and compose night photos, you might consider registering for our “ Mastering Low Light Photography “ class on Friday, December 8, 2017.
Workshop space is very limited for better accessibility to the instructor so sign up now!
What you will learn:
• Dave’s menu favorites
• How to use many of the menus applicable to cityscape shooting
• How to create points-of-light stars
• Compositional shortcuts to creating an image with visual impact
• How to use selectable focus points and metering
• How to use a wide angle lens for foreground emphasis
• How to plan your shot for the most efficient use of your time
• How to evaluate the critical balance between sky and buildings for accurate exposure
• How to travel light and still get the shot
What to bring:
• Your camera and lenses
• Your camera’s instruction manual in PDF form on your smart device
• Freshly charged battery
• Empty and formatted memory card
• Tripod and remote release (cable or infrared)
• Comfortable walking shoes
• Dress for the weather
What is provided:
• Canon notebook, pen and lens cloth
• Water and light snacks