Super Telephotos: Hands-On with Long Glass
201 California St.
San Francisco, California 94111
Big lenses for big results!
Here's a hands-on workshop that will help you understand lens handling and camera menus that will allow you to realize the full potential of your long glass. We'll begin with a non-technical explanation of the features long lenses offer, as well as a few lens handling tips to enable you to streamline your lens setup. This takes us into a discussion of maximum aperture shooting, depth-of-field and bokeh.
Then, we'll dive into some of the different menu selections and even Custom Functions that are available in some EOS models. Custom Functions can be used to change how AF and exposure works, allowing you to work quickly and tailor the camera's AF system to the way you like to shoot.
After the classroom session, we’ll walk a block to the Embarcadero, where you’ll be able to view or shoot through one of our big white lenses to give you the feel of how powerful a big lens really is.
You'll come away with a better understanding of long lens settings and capabilities and you’ll have more confidence that you can capture the image you’ve envisioned in your mind. If you've ever real-ly wanted to have greater insight into how your long lens can be used to its maximum potential, this evening's presentation will be a big step in that direction for any Canon long lens owner.
What you will learn:
• Fundamentals of autofocus
• How to program AF Stop buttons
• Understanding focus presets
• Uses for different focusing modes for different types of shooting situations
• Focus drift and how to minimize its effect
• Custom functions and settings that directly affect how the AF & exposure systems perform
• How to control the AF system and maximize its effectiveness
• Focusing faster with Focus Range selections
What to bring:
• Your camera body
• Your camera’s instruction manual in PDF form on your smart phone
• Freshly charged battery
• Empty and formatted memory card
• Tripod and remote release (cable or infrared)
• Comfortable walking shoes
What is provided:
• Several Canon long telephoto lenses
• Canon notebook, pen and lens cloth
• Water and light snacks