The Magic of Fall Colors Photography: Tips and Techniques for Capturing Nature’s Grandest Show
201 California St.
San Francisco, California 94111
All around the country, Mother Nature is poised to unleash her grandest show, the colors of autumn, before she puts the earth to sleep for the winter.
In a couple weeks the weather will begin to change and there will be a crispness and chill in the air and frost on the grasses and leaves. Leaves will transform themselves from summer green into the spectacular colors of fall.
Join photojournalist and Live Learning fall colors expert, Dave Henry, will guide you through the hardware and software used to create stunning images with incredible sharpness and clarity.
Every year, Dave has shot fall colors somewhere in the world since 1974. From the 1980s to 2012, The Sacramento Bee ran his Eastern Sierra fall colors stories and photos in their Travel and Outdoors sections and beginning in 2001 on The Bee’s web site. Since retiring from The Bee, he’s continued to teach fall colors workshops and shoot fall colors because it’s his favorite season of the year.
Join us for a full three-hours of learning where, when and how to capture this season beginning with understanding the angle of autumn light and how to expose for it. Then learn how to compose your photo to create compositions that showcase the season.
Camera gear such as filters, lenses and efficient lens shades will round out the evening. We’ll show you how to effectively use graduated neutral density filters to selectively control image densities and how to make your images pop with color and contrast using a polarizing filter.
Capturing your image is only half the fun. The digital darkroom fulfills the dream and vision for your photograph. Learn how to download Canon’s latest “Autumn Hues” Picture Style that will give you additional tonal options to choose from in the field and in post processing when shooting RAW and how to expand your Dynamic Range with new in-camera technologies such as HDR (High dynamic Imaging).
What you will learn:
• Dave’s five-minute image editing shortcuts
• How polarizing filters work and when to use them
• How and when to use graduated neutral density filters
• How to balance ISO, shutter speeds and aperture
• Image processing software tips
• How to apply Picture Styles to a RAW file in post
• The secrets of digital exposure
• How to upload the new Autumn Hues Picture Style
• How to have fun enjoying this natural explosion of color
• How Tilt-Shift lenses solve “tree problems” in the field
What is provided:
• Canon notebook, pen and lens cloth
• Coffee, water and light snacks