Photographing the Northern Lights Session Two
Hampton Inn & Suites Fairbanks
433 Harold Bentley Avenue
Fairbanks, AK, 99701, USA
Mention Canon Workshop Room Block Code: CDW when making reservations to receive the special Canon rate.
Rate does not include taxes & fees.
Room block expires February 23, 2018
Travel recommendations: Fairbanks International Airport (FAI). 11 minute drive by car to the hotel; approximately 7.2 miles.
This workshop begins on Thursday, March 29 at 6:00pm and ends on Monday, April 2 at 8:00pm.
Join Canon Explorer of Light Ken Sklute in Fairbanks, AK to photograph the dancing lights of the Aurora Borealis. The natural phenomenon of the Northern Lights provides astrophotographers with opportunities to photograph the night sky with colorful displays of green, pink and violet. You will quickly see why Aurora Borealis has been called Nature’s theater.
Ken will take you out each evening for an adventure chasing the Aurora and provide on-location instruction on how to capture this celestial wonder creatively.
Our workshop will take place in Fairbanks, AK and visit surrounding areas like the city of North Pole, the exciting University of Fairbanks and many beautiful, picturesque areas surrounding Alaska's second largest city.
- You will have the opportunity to learn and experiment with a range of Canon EOS Bodies and EF lenses.
- Expert instruction in the field and classroom from Ken Sklute and support from the Canon Live Learning Team.
- Access to the latest Canon gear: L-Series lenses, and Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, EOS 5DS, EOS 5DS R, EOS 5D Mark IV and EOS 80D bodies.
- 1-2 Professional prints of your work to take home from a Canon Pro Printer.
The workshop is limited to 16 students, so you will have plenty of attention and support to help you in both the field and the classroom. We will meet for classroom instruction to cover a variety of skills that enhance your photography.
You Will Learn How To:
- Plan locations, timing, understand weather and search for forecasts on the Aurora.
- Pre-visualize! Being able to see how a location will work in the total dark, when the brilliant lights of the Aurora come to dance.
- Compose photos that you cannot yet see.
- Focus in the dark.
- Determining correct exposures in the dark.
- Bring out the most color and detail, post-processing of the nighttime sky.
By the End of the Workshop:
- You will be well versed in capturing all kinds of Astrophotography.
- You will have created remarkable images for your portfolio.
- You will learn that the cold environment will be very comfortable with the correct outfitting (clothing).
- A camera body (or two) that can expose at ISO's at 6400 or higher
- Wide angle fast lenses, f/2.8 or faster
- A sturdy tripod (or two)
- A cable release or intervelometer (or two)
- Warm gloves and glove underliners
- Thermal underwear
- Down jacket and ski pants.
- Warm hat
- Winter warm boots
- Head and face protector.
Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced students are welcome. A good understanding of your camera operations including using manual mode, apertures, AV, F-Stops and shutter speed is needed.
Canon Live Learning Destination Workshops let you access exclusive experiences where you can develop skills and create lifelong memories. In just a few short days, these fun, hands-on workshops will expand your portfolio, create prints of your favorite images and help you make new friends.
Shoot Side-By-Side With The Pros
You’ll be alongside seasoned photography pros, ready to answer any question—and provide expert advice on how to bring your visions to life, how to maximize your camera’s functions and get creative with lenses.
Smaller Is Better
In this intimate setting, you’ll have easy access to instructors as well as the Canon Live Learning support staff. Whether you’re shooting waterfalls in Yosemite, gators in Florida, or surfers in Hawaii – you’ll have all the attention you need to further to develop your skills.
Get Hands-on With The Best Canon Gear
You’ll not only shoot with the best instructors—you’ll shoot with the best gear! Workshop attendees can access a range of Canon “dream gear,” including the latest EOS cameras and lenses, with Canon instructors ready to offer their technical and creative assistance every step of the way.